Wednesday 29 January 2020

Artist Trading Card (ATC) - Mixed Media


Ahoy and welcome back!
Today I have something a bit different to share with you. Different for me anyway as Artist Trading Cards (ATCs) have been around for over 20 years now. 


 ATCs were started by the Swiss artist Vänçi Stirnemann in 1997 and are mini, creative projects measuring 2.5" x 3.5". They are handmade, unique pieces of art or sometimes part of a small series, that are then signed and dated on the back by the creator and exchanged and collected by fellow artists.


I love this concept, just making something small, something unique and in the case of this one, something personal to the recipient...a fellow gardener / artist on the other side of the world. 
Shona contacted me out of the blue, at the end of last year and asked if she could send me a handmade Christmas card. I was so touched when it arrived with a personal note too and it got me thinking how can I repay such out-of-the-blue kindness with something other than a card? 


The problem I have, probably like most of you, is a huge desire to make things (when the ol' crafting mojo is in da house...lol) but nowhere to store all the things I want to make. I can only make so many cards for friends and family and when it comes to mixed media I could make bits n' bobs all day but what do you do with it, unless it's a commissioned piece?


So the humble ATC has become a little outlet for me to still make the things I love without having to rent an enormous warehouse to store it in. It's also a great way to share different ideas and materials with others as well as inspire, motivate & encourage with maybe a sentiment or message.


So my first ATC is a garden themed arrangement using a variety of textures and pastes, glass, paints, glitters and stones. The floral (seed heads) and leaves are from Mintay's new Flora Book. 
The ATC itself is a Strathmore 500 series Illustration Board.


I've made a few more since (which I'll share another day) but I'd be interested to hear from anyone else who makes ATCs and swaps / shares them with others.
Back soon x

5 comments:

Craft-E-Place said...

Fabulous ATC! I absolutely agree ... there definitely are limits to the number of cards you want/need. I’ve also started creating some smaller projects just for the fun of it ... I love ATCs but if I want something slightly bigger I’ve created some postcards and tags too. I look forward to seeing more of your mini creations.
Elaine

Chrissy said...

1997 sounds just like yesterday..lol..but this peice is just stunning Jane, every details is there and so tiny..I love the leaves,flowers and butterfly,the crackles and colours, everything..gorgeous.

Luv CHRISSYxx

Heidi MyLittleStampingBlog said...

Wow, this looks so textural it could be straight from the forest floor!

cuilliesocks said...

WOW!! This is absolutely stunning Jane, I love all the tinyness.....is that a word???. Beautiful elements and colours, textures too, Kate x

Sue said...

Gorgeous ATC, Janey. I like making these too but nothing like as exotic as this. I look forward to seeing more of these x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...